Friday, March 6, 2009

Today was beautiful and sunny outside. I wish I had remembered to bring my camera. I met my friend J for lunch at Matt's in the Market. J insisted on paying, citing that I didn't have a job and he did. It was very kind of him, though it made me feel bad. Allowing people to pay for you is always tricky. I feel bad that people feel the need to pay for me just because I am out of a job, but then again, I don't want them to think I am trying to be ungrateful by arguing that I want to pay for myself. It's a fine line and is dependent on who I am with. 

Moving on, the food was good but overpriced. Sometimes the service can be a little snotty. We did not have a reservation (it was at 11:30 AM), and the hostess said, "No reservation? Well...I'll have to check to see if we have a table." He then left and probably pretended to look around. He later came back and told us that they had "one more" table left. Okay...the place is practically empty. For not having a reservation, we scored a pretty nice spot right by the window. I had my usual catfish sandwich and J had a swordfish sandwich. Both were excellent, though the swordfish sandwich was a bit heavy. It was deep-fried and shaped like a crab cake. 

Afterward, I walked around Pike Market. For a week day, it was surprisingly crowded. Sometimes I like to stare at people and wonder what their lives must be like. Do they have a job? Are they visiting? Are they laid off? Maybe they are just independently wealthy or taking the day off to enjoy the sunshine? Who knows, there are so many explanations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment