Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The first part: I've recently been laid off from a non-profit job. 

The second part: I volunteered to be laid off. 

The third part: I'm really scared I won't find another job. 

I knew I wanted to leave my job eventually, and it seemed wrong to stay when I knew some of my co-workers were committed to staying with the agency long-term. It was the right thing to do, but now I am scared about what I will do next. It seemed to make sense at the time and now I am wondering if I will indeed find another job. 

The good news is I have unemployment. The bad is that it's not all that much. Social work does not pay all that well, but it's even worse when you collect unemployment. Fortunately for me, my fiance has a stable job, so we should be okay for a while. We managed to save a decent emergency fund, however, I would rather us not go through the whole fund. After all, we still have a wedding to pay for. 

I don't know what the point of starting a blog is. I guess I just want to be able to reflect back on this someday and remember. I've never been laid off before. It's a pretty scary time in in our country right now, if not globally. I know quite a few people are worried about money and if they will still have a job in the future. I hope we can all brave this out, whatever may come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment